Jersey Bulls

3 - 0

Combined Counties Division One

Ash United

Saturday August 3, 2019, 3:00 pm

Springfield Stadium

Combined Counties Division One

Match Report

Brilliant Barlow Leads Bulls to debut victory

Reporter: Dan Andrade

Goals from Fraser Barlow, Karl Hinds and substitute Harry Cardwell were enough to secure all three points against Ash United, as Jersey’s elite footballers had their first taste of English League football.

Barlow started as he meant to go on, showing great skill with his dangerous cross being blocked. From the resulting corner, Luke Campbell headed wide, as Bulls started on the front foot.

Hinds then picked out Daryl Wilson, but his stabbed effort was saved comfortably by the visiting keeper Jamie Cunningham.

In the 9th minute Jonny Le Quesne whipped a delightful ball into the area, but Kieran Lester couldn’t stretch enough, and the ball travelled past the attacker.

Moments later, Barlow took on a shot from distance, beating Cunningham but not the crossbar as it smashed back into play and into Lester’s path, but he could only blaze over.

Bulls shot stopper Euan Van Der Vliet had a quiet afternoon, but was called into action in the 11th minute, playing sweeper keeper, coming in with a crunching tackle on Jack Fitzgerald, who was substituted as a result.

Bulls played some fantastic football on the day in front of an impressive crowd, with Wilson and Barlow both having chances to open the scoring, but neither could convert.

On the half hour mark, Le Quesne had two golden chances in as many minutes. Firstly, he found himself one on one but Cunningham pulled off a great save, and moments later he saw his brave header go inches wide of the post.

In added time in the first half, Bulls did score their first ever competitive goal. Hinds found Lester with a lovely through-ball, Lester took it past the Cunningham and was brought down, however whilst everybody was appealing for a penalty, Barlow was alive to tuck the ball away into the bottom corner and Springfield Stadium erupted.

HT: Bulls 1-0 Ash United

It was a slow start to the second half, with the first chance coming in the 59th minute when Le Quesne saw his effort fire just over the bar.

Jack Boyle, who came on for his Bulls debut, saw his first effort go into the side netting, however, his first appearance didn’t last long as the creative midfielder went off injured after only 11 minutes.

The lead was doubled in the 73rd minute. Boyle’s replacement, Harry Cardwell, who put on a lively cameo, was brought down inside the area, with the referee pointing to the spot without any hesitation. Hinds grabbed the ball and slotted the penalty in, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Hinds then pushed on and was only denied his brace by a fine save, after a mazy run down the right-hand side.

Cardwell continued to show why he thinks he should be starting by firstly testing the keeper, and then hitting the post, as he stood out in the closing stages.

The tricky winger did get his goal with the last kick of the game after great play on the left by Hinds and full back Jay Giles, with the latter putting it on a plate for Cardwell to tap in at the back post, confirming the three points for the Bulls.

Gary Freeman’s men are next in action on Wednesday 14th August as they travel to play FC Deportivo Galicia at the Bedfont Recreation Ground as they look to push on from the strong start to the season.